We want to make sure that every eligible worker in California files a tax return and gets the refund they’ve earned, but we also want to make sure we’re protecting the health and safety of the communities where we work.
For that reason, we’re following developments related to COVID-19 at the county-level in all regions where we sponsor free tax preparation events. At this time, many of our planned tax preparation events are still scheduled, but since we anticipate potential cancellations in the weeks to come, we encourage you to please contact the event’s host to make sure that it hasn’t been canceled or postponed.
In the case of event cancellations, we’ll be working with our community partners to expand our free tax preparation offerings in the coming months, pending guidance from health officials. We will also look for alternative ways to help people file.
There are online resources available to file for free and claim your refund. To help you navigate free online filing, ProPublica created a detailed guide, which we encourage you to check out.
And remember that you can request an extension for filing your return. Workers eligible for a refund with the federal or California Earned Income Tax Credit can still claim both after Tax Day on April 15th.
If you are in good health, and plan to attend one of our free tax preparation events, please follow the guidance below to protect yourself and vulnerable members of our community:
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Clean your hands often with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing (or an elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available). Discard tissue and wash your hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick with respiratory symptoms like fever and cough.
We thank you for your cooperation and continued support as we work together to ensure that all Californians have the tools to build financial security and thrive–in good health.