Golden State Opportunity (GSO), a statewide public-private partnership organization leading one of the most effective anti-poverty organizations in the country, seeks a dynamic leader to serve as its President. Building on the incredible success of this young organization to date, the President will grow GSO to the next level of effectiveness and impact. Currently, GSO is a multi-million dollar operation supported by a diverse group of funders and fueled by a talented team with offices in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Francisco, and Sacramento.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for GSO staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. This person will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations and plans.
The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a thought leader and influencer on issues of economic empowerment and financial security.
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Maintain and build upon successful relationships with key funders while cultivating new ones.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from digital presence to external relations.
- Advocate with lawmakers to further the mission.
- Maintain and build upon GSO’s positive and supportive work culture.
- Utilize strategic thinking to expand ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other stakeholders and constituents.
- Actively engage and energize GSO’s board members, partner organizations, community leaders, elected officials, funders and volunteers.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong board of directors; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain GSO’s high-performance team.
The President will be thoroughly committed to GSO’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and management experience.
Specific requirements include but are not limited to:
- Experience managing a campaign or multi-faceted program.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, fundraise and manage a complex budget.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships and recruit new ones.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate.
- Communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
How to apply for President position
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, a resume, and two writing samples in a Word document or PDF format only to LauraC@goldenstateopportunity.org.