The CalEITC Coalition is a group of dedicated advocates and organizations who fought to create the credit in 2015, who work to ensure that expansions of the credit benefit all low-income households. Since the establishment of the tax credit, our coalition’s long standing strategy has been to work collectively and leverage our strengths to ensure that all income-eligible people have access to it.
2022 Legislation Priorities
- SB 860 (Rubio): Strengthening California’s Young Child Tax Credit. This bill would strengthen the Young Child Tax Credit in two ways. It would:
- End the $1 earnings requirement, allowing 55,000 families who’ve been blocked from the credit to benefit from it beginning in 2023.
- Increase the credit to keep up with rising prices each year. For example, if prices increase by 5%, then the $1,000 credit would increase by 5% to $1,050, helping families to pay for the same purchases over time.
- AB 2589 (Santiago): Permanently Increasing the CalEITC and Providing a One-Time Cash Payment to Families Raising Children
- This bill would permanently increase the minimum amount of money people can get from the CalEITC to $255. Over 400,000 families with children and nearly 3 million adults who are not supporting children in their homes will get more money from the credit. This bill would also provide a one-time cash payment of $2,000 per child in a family that received the CalEITC in 2022. The purpose of this proposal is to help make up for the thousands of dollars families with low incomes are going to lose because the federal government let a large increase in the federal Child Tax Credit expire this year.
- AB 1515 (Santiago): Increasing Funding for Community-Based Tax Credit Outreach, Education & Free Tax Preparation Services
- This bill would increase state funding for grants provided to community-based organizations to help them raise awareness of these tax benefits in their communities. In addition, this bill would ensure that state funding for free tax preparation services, such as VITA programs, is provided year-round so they can maintain their services without interruption. This will prevent families and individuals from having to use high-cost, for-profit tax preparers because they cannot access free services.
If interested in supporting one or all of these bills and/or would like to be connected to the CalEITC Coalition, please fill out this form.