Start Date: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be filled as soon as possible.
About the Position
Golden State Opportunity seeks a Chief Operating Officer.
GSO is steadily growing and fast-paced. The COO will need to have experience building or running 501c3, 501c4, PACs and/or 527s and understand how to maximize each structure to meet our long term goals. The best candidates will have the ability to see down the road where GSO is going and ensure that all processes, registrations, and systems are ready in a timely manner.
This position currently manages a staff of two and oversees the work of our contract accounting and bookkeeping firm.
The COO is a key strategic role with tactical, hands-on responsibility for the development of GSO’s financial management strategy, contributing to the development of the organization’s strategic goals, and providing insight into opportunities for long-term growth. This position oversees business and financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, accounting, management and performance reporting, and HR and benefits administration. This role is part of a dedicated senior management team and reports directly to the President.
Strategy, Vision & Leadership
- Advise the President on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
- Serve as the management liaison to the Finance & Audit Committees
- Contribute to the development of GSO’s strategic goals and objectives
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
Finance & Planning
- Build and maintain forecast reporting formats and processes
- Participate in building business cases for new initiative, and partnerships
- Lead the annual operating plan and budgeting process, ensuring alignment with strategic focus and priorities
- Provide recommendations regarding opportunities, risk management, and resource allocation
- Identify, pursue and secure loans, lines of credit or other financing as needed
Accounting, Administration & Controls
- Maintain an updated and appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures in accordance with the General Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, retirement plan, grants payment processing, payroll/HR, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Oversee management of HR including the processes for a fully remote work force based in multiple states
- Review and manage other administrative areas such as IT & contracts
- Provide timely reports and support to GSO’s internal management team
- Manage relationships with third-party vendors, payroll management, auditors, tax vendors, etc.
- Advise the organization on tools and solutions to increase efficiency in systems, analysis, and reporting
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance; MBA is desired.
- Minimum of 10+ years of progressive experience in finance and accounting experience in multiple non-profit organizational structures (501c3, 501c4, political action committees, 527s, etc)
- Highly skilled in QuickBooks Desktop and Excel; exposure to Salesforce, Asana project management and EveryAction a plus
- Experience with government/nonprofit organization finance and accounting regulations
- Experience in Human Resources and benefits administration particularly with a remote work force based in multiple locations
- External audit and in-house financial management experience
- Mastery of business modeling, management reporting and analytic tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Represents the organization in a professional manner to the community, vendors, and internal personnel
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary for the Chief Operating Officer will begin at $170,000, with final salary commensurate with the experience of the selected candidate.
Golden State Opportunity offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Group and voluntary life insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Generous vacation and sick time allowance
- 15 paid holidays a year
- Monthly phone allowance
- Enrollment in employer-sponsored 401k retirement plan
How to Apply
Women, People of Color, Veterans, People with Disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, and all committed to equitable and inclusive workplaces are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume (in PDF or Word format only) to email@example.com. Please include “Chief Operating Officer – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME” in the email subject line.