Golden State Opportunity (GSO) is a nonprofit dedicated to ending poverty by providing all Californians with the tools to build financial well-being and thrive. It is led by doers who educate, engage, and empower working families. GSO’s groundbreaking, culturally relevant work in thirteen languages reaches millions of low-income Californians and connects them with the financial resources they need to survive and then thrive.
GSO has an ambitious strategic plan that will transform the organization into a national anti-poverty powerhouse by taking its model of outreach and engagement to more states, adding accountability campaigns through issue and electoral campaigns and establishing federal and state PACs as needed to achieve the goal of ending poverty by 2035. GSO will achieve this goal not only by bringing the voices and lived experiences of low-income people to the halls of power, but by bringing the full power of these communities as well.
Location: Remote, based in California, Los Angeles preferred.
Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable frequently engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools.
Start Date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be filled as soon as possible.
About the Position
Reporting to the Communications Director and serving as a member of the Communications Team, the Graphic Designer and Web Manager will produce visual content for a variety of GSO teams including Campaigns, Development, Policy and Research, as well special projects for the Office of the President and Board of Directors. The role will also help to create guidelines for how branding materials should be displayed and used and make design choices for all internal and external facing communications.
Additionally, this position will oversee all aspects of the GSO website, such as monitoring and updating the website and creating landing pages and managing outside vendors and consultants, including GSO’s website management firm.
The successful candidate will also be a strong relationship builder adept at working across internal teams and external partners to source and shape content. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-driven individual with a passion for growing and maintaining a brand voice across various channels and platforms.
- Collaborate with GSO Communications team to conceptualize and create designs that span both print and digital
- Design innovative and compelling web and print graphics — with special attention to typography, layout and imagery to help visually convey audience-specific and inclusive messaging
- Support the Communications Team in the production and design of large campaign projects, including print and digital collateral, ads, emails, videos, flyers, brochures, postcards, infographics, slide decks, landing pages, social media graphics, webinar collaterals, streaming templates (ex. Streamyard and Zoom), newsletters and reports
- Work closely with the Communications Team to evolve and define GSO’s brand identity
- Develop and implement asset filing system
- Manage vendors and consultants including a website and language translation firm for collaterals
- Continue to improve the website user experience, provide basic website analytics reports and monitor and update the website as needed
Skills and Experience
- Experience in a deadline-driven campaign and/or social justice/advocacy environment/organization highly desirable
- Lived and/or direct experience working with people and communities from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Highly proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Highly proficient with Google Workspace, Keynote and/or PowerPoint
- Experience working with WordPress and knowledge of html
- Strong understanding of layout, color theory, typography, imagery, branding, and logo development
- Experience managing multi-part editorial/design processes across teams or departments and doing so on a tight timeline
- Ability to work independently
- Strong project management, multitasking and follow-through skills
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and accuracy under deadline
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- 3-5+ years minimum of related experience
Compensation and Benefits
The annualized salary band for this position with Golden State Opportunity is $70,000-$85,000. This band is commensurate with the experience of qualified candidates.
Golden State Opportunity offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Group and voluntary life insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Generous vacation and sick time allowance
- 14 paid holidays a year
- Monthly phone allowance
- Company provided laptop if needed
- Enrollment in employer-sponsored 401k retirement plan
How to Apply
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume (in PDF or Word format only) and a portfolio link in your cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “GRAPHIC DESIGNER – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME” in the email subject line.
Golden State Opportunity is an equal opportunity employer and will give equal consideration to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.