Golden State Opportunity (GSO) is a nonprofit dedicated to ending poverty by providing all Californians with the tools to build financial well-being and thrive. It is led by doers who educate, engage, and empower working families. GSO’s groundbreaking, culturally relevant work in thirteen languages reaches millions of low-income Californians and connects them with the financial resources they need to survive and then thrive.
GSO has an ambitious strategic plan that will transform the organization into a national anti-poverty powerhouse by taking its model of outreach and engagement to more states, adding accountability campaigns through issue and electoral campaigns and establishing federal and state PACs as needed to achieve the goal of ending poverty by 2035. GSO will achieve this goal not only by bringing the voices and lived experiences of low-income people to the halls of power, but by bringing the full power of these communities as well.
Location: Flexible in California
Start Date: January 2021
About the Position
Golden State Opportunity seeks a Development Director who is ready to build a national development operation almost from the ground up. GSO raises approximately $4M annually now and needs to grow that to more than $10M over the next five years. GSO has a strong base of foundation support and funding from the State of California for its current core program, so it needs to build more robust individual and corporate giving programs.
If the idea of building your own program, recruiting your own top-notch team members and building a powerhouse 501(c)3, 501(c)4 and federal PAC in service of ending poverty in America excites you, then this is the job for you. The ideal candidate will have senior management experience in a successful and diverse development operation and will already know what is needed to be successful: planning, researching, and executing plans, meeting metrics and benchmarks, and knowing how — and loving — to raise money. GSO’s next Development Director will have proven experience prospecting, cultivating, and stewarding relationships with major donors and be comfortable, and experienced in, securing seven-figure gifts.
GSO is currently a small but growing team. The Development Director will report directly to the President (who also loves to raise money) and will collaborate with other members of the senior management team. The Development Director will have direct reports.
- Build and execute an annual and long-term development plan, including all aspects of a program including major gifts, annual campaigns, foundation grants, corporate giving, and other funding sources including low-dollar email solicitations
- Develop both long- and short-range operational plans to strengthen, grow, and track the progress of the development department
- Leverage volunteer opportunities, site visits, special events, and donor benefits as cultivation and engagement tools
- Effectively establish and maintain a donor research system and CRM database
- Actively monitor portfolio results and modify strategy as necessary
- Engage the President, Board Members, and donor volunteers in fundraising efforts as appropriate
- Provide revenue forecasts, and accurate and timely activity and pipeline reports
Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of front-line experience in managing development programs
- Experience running complex 501(c)3, 501(c)4 and political action committees
- Proven track record in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts from donors
- Innovative, creative, strategic, and analytical thinker
- Ability to set priorities, coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, and meet firm deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, and convey information clearly and succinctly
- Establish working relationships and interact effectively with a wide range of people internally and externally
- Ability to work effectively with volunteer leadership and senior staff, involving them, as appropriate, in the cultivation and solicitation process for major donors
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Deep passion for economic equity and belief in GSO’s mission and theory of change
Current benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous vacation and sick time allowance
- 14 paid holidays a year
- Monthly phone allowance
- Enrollment in employer-sponsored 401k retirement plan
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume (in PDF or Word format only) to email@example.com. Please include “DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR”” in the email subject line, and please reference your preferred location in your cover letter.
Golden State Opportunity is an equal opportunity employer and will give equal consideration to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.