Golden State Opportunity (GSO) is a nonprofit dedicated to ending poverty by providing all Californians with the tools to build financial well-being and thrive. It is led by doers who educate, engage, and empower working families. GSO’s groundbreaking, culturally relevant work in thirteen languages reaches millions of low-income Californians and connects them with the financial resources they need to survive and then thrive.
GSO has an ambitious strategic plan that will transform the organization into a national anti-poverty powerhouse by taking its model of outreach and engagement to more states, adding accountability campaigns through issue and electoral campaigns, and establishing federal and state PACs as needed to achieve the goal of ending poverty by 2035. GSO will achieve this goal not only by bringing the voices and lived experiences of low-income people to the halls of power, but by bringing the full power of these communities as well.
About the Position
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Development, GSO is creating a new Development Coordinator role to provide operational and administrative support for the team and the organization’s fundraising activities overall. This will include supporting and often coordinating events, owning donor acknowledgement and data management, and supporting the department’s operations as a whole. The Coordinator will work daily with the entire development team, including the director, deputy director, online fundraising, a new major gifts officer, outside consultants, and GSO’s President and national board.
The successful candidate will have experience with donor management systems (such as Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge) and bring a minimum of two years experience in operations and/or administration, with experience in a nonprofit or political campaign development team preferred. Alternative experience in the private sector will be considered, particularly those with experience in operations, database content management, special events and other functions with parallels to this position’s required skills. Experience with Salesforce’s suite for nonprofits is desired, but not a requirement to apply.
Work is remote with a preference for a Bay Area resident. All GSO employees must be California residents at the start of employment and be able to work remotely from their own location; comfortable engaging with colleagues by phone, video conference, email, Slack, Asana and other digital communications tools and platforms.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will be filled as soon as possible.
- Take ownership of GSO’s Salesforce donor management system, including identifying and implementing improvements that contribute to the development team’s success.
- Play a central role tracking potential, pledged and received donations, and maintain the department’s internal income projections.
- Ensure the donor management system is updated regularly with key donor information, updates, and a record of key communications and acknowledgments.
- When needed, work with the development team on successful donor events, programs, and related in-person activities.
- Actively engage with GSO’s online fundraising and communications teams, ensuring effective coordination of activities.
- Provide operational and administrative support to the development team as needed, including support of special events, foundation and corporate funder reports, board meeting materials, donor communications, and scheduling of key department meetings and events.
Skills & Experience
- Exemplary communication and organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to adapt and multi-task.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a proven collaborative spirit and organizational mindset.
- Success working with donor databases and research tools, with knowledge of Salesforce CRM and donor management systems essential.
- Amiable work style that will seamlessly integrate to a growing development team.
- Experience in a deadline-driven campaign and/or social justice/advocacy environment/organization a plus, but not required.
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary for the Development Coordinator will be no less than $60,000, with final salary commensurate with the experience of the selected candidate. Golden State Opportunity offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Group and voluntary life insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Generous vacation and sick time allowance
- 14 paid holidays a year
- Monthly phone allowance
- Enrollment in employer-sponsored 401k retirement plan
How to Apply
Women, People of Color, Veterans, People with Disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals and all committed to equitable and inclusive workplaces are strongly encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume (in PDF or Word format only) highlighting demonstrated experience raising funds from individual donors and/or corporate sponsors to email@example.com. Please include “Development Coordinator – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME” in the email subject line.